Sunday, September 26, 2010

Kind of like Nicodemus

So, we had an extra 20 people in church this morning at our main worship service. Our usual attendance is about 50. We had a good kids talk at the beginning. We celebrated communion together. We assured those who were there for the first time that they did not have to give when the offering plate was passed. The music group practiced a little harder and it truly was good. So, I am grateful for the worship service this morning. And I am grateful for what God seemed to be doing. But I also know, that it is not over.

It kind of puts me in mind of Nicodemus from John's gospel. We do not hear too much of him until much later in the gospel. And that conversation that he has with Jesus always seems a bit strange to me. Jesus does not really answer any of his questions. I suspect Nicodemus leaves that encounter more confused than when he started. But somehow, Jesus holds open some space for the relationship to continue, for unanswered questions to linger, for doubt to blend with wonder, for something new to emerge in the human heart. And I hope that we have done a little of that today. Hold open some space, and allow something new to be born.

What will happen next? Well, we will do some follow-up the best we can. And I also know that this is God's work. So, we will also pray for those who came, hoping that nothing that happened today will be lost. Seeds scattered. Moments of holy inquiry begun. Something stirring in the human heart. God's whisper heard for the first time. And, like Nicodemus, we may not hear about the results of today for a long time. But that's ok. It is not about getting results anyway. It is about one heart at a time. And I think we did that today. And for that, I am grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment