Tuesday, September 14, 2010

TSN for three and a half seconds

Yes, it is true. Over the summer, I was on The Sports Network (TSN), appearing ever so briefly with Jennifer Hedger and Darren “Dutch” Dutchyshen. You might think that I was in the crowd scenes but no - it was better than that! Way better! Our local Dragon Boat team in Brighton was featured on TSN and for three and a half seconds, you could see me sitting beside the illustrious Dutch and just behind the iconic Jennifer.

Now, I have to say that I do not watch TSN. Before this time, I had no idea who Jennifer and Dutch were. The things found on the Sports Centre channel are simply not part my world. Sure, I go to the gym, paddle on Lake Ontario in the summer and in the winter I curl a 44 pound stone down a 126 feet sheet of ice, but that is about it athletically. So, while I enjoyed paddling with Jennifer and Dutch, I did not really feel connected with all they represent. When it was done, I drove home knowing that it was kind of cool, but also wondering what all the fuss was about.

And part of me wonders if that what it is like for those we will invite to church on September 26. They will be entering a different world, not really connected with what we do, wondering what all the fuss is about. I heard of TSN, watched some stuff on line, knew in general terms what they do there, but that’s about it. Most people I know have heard of the church, seen some stuff on TV, know in general terms what we do there, but that’s about it.

One of the things I valued about my experience with Dutch and Jennifer is that I was given the freedom to enter into that experience at my own pace. There was no expectation that I should have a “wow” moment. I did not have to pretend to know which forward in the NBA scored the most points per game. There was no cable guy telling me, “Ok, now you have to sign up for TSN in HD”. I was given the time and space to connect, or not connect, to enjoy or not enjoy. I could be myself in the Dragon boat, I could sit beside Dutch and Jennifer, I could even see myself on TSN. No pressure.

But then, that was kind of the end of the experience. The next day, Jennifer did not leave any phone messages at the church. Dutch has not emailed me to ask me to go out for a beer. The producers of TSN have not contacted me for a repeat performance on the Dragon Boat. They let me be, there was no pressure to belong, but in a way, that’s what was missing. On Back to Church Sunday, it may be good to provide a “no pressure” atmosphere, but it is also important to do that follow up, to express some genuine interest, to find out more about who these people are. While we do not want to overwhelm, we need to be open to the opportunities to move people from wanderers to pilgrims, or as John Bowen reminds us, from “visitors into disciples.”

While Jesus provided a “no pressure” attitude, he always seemed genuinely interested in those he met. He called them. He summoned something new out of people like Peter, Mary Magdalene and Thomas, he invited people into a new kind of community. Jesus did not confuse “no pressure” with “not interested”. It is a relationship that he sought after. It is a relationship that he offers. And he offers it through people like you and me.

1 comment:

  1. "While Jesus provided a “no pressure” attitude ..."

    Is that true? Would you say that our Lord's encounter with the woman at the well was "no pressure" when he confronted her about her seven husbands? Or his encounters with the Scribes and Pharisees? Or the rich young man that he told to "sell everything?" Or how 'bout the exhortation to "take up your cross ...?"

    I like your column, but be careful about such throwaway lines.

    ReplyDelete